Powered by Rollyo

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Wiki

My first impression of wiki is from my experience with wikipedia. It is quite negative because in the library circle it is seen as an unreliable, non orthodox source of information as compare with traditional reference sources such as encyclopedias. Now I realized that if you use it with caution, it is a handy tool to do initial research, as long as you go further to check the source. Now wiki is used widely in all sorts of areas as a tool for collaborative writing, pooling knowledge or exchanging ideas. Library wikis are mostly used to share information and resources such as subject heading, reference resources amongst librarians. Other areas I can think of are operation procedures and customer informations.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wikipedia now has some restrictions on who can edit documents which I hope will help improve it's reliability :)